- 10 internally-developed games
- XGen Web games played 500 million times
- Defend Your Castle iOS downloaded over 1 million times
- Game releases on 9 platforms; PS4, PS3, WiiWare, iOS, iPad, Android, Mac, PC and the Web
XGen Studios has its origins in the first batch of single-developer games created by Skye Boyes, with development beginning late 2001. Launched in January 2003, the studio's first game attracted over 1 million players in the first month. Regular server crashes, caused by influxes of traffic from sites like SlashDot and NewGrounds, prompted expansion of the team to handle the growing volume of players, which would eventually reach 4.5 million per month.
Opportunity to expand into console development followed success in the web sphere when Nintendo licensed XGen Studios to develop a game for its WiiWare console in 2008. New interaction possibilites with Nintendo's Wii remote would prove a perfect match for Defend Your Castle's unique throwing mechanic. Developed in under 5 months for the launch of WiiWare, Defend Your Castle debuted at the #1 spot on Nintendo's downloadable service for 3 weeks.
XGen's Super Motherload made it's debut as Day-1 PlayStation 4 title on November 15th, 2013, alongside the launch of Sony's latest console. Subsequent Super Motherload releases include a PlayStation 3 and a Steam version, as well as a 2-4 player boardgame. XGen Studios currently maintains an internal staff of 7 in Edmonton, working to build their next original entertainment property.
“An awesome blend of obsessive compulsive profiteering and addictive, satisfying gameplay.”
4.5 / 5 – Game Revolution
“The sci-fi ’80s vibe is delightful and the perfect setting for this ridiculously addicting game. I find myself coming back to it at the end of every day, ready for a new adventure underground.”
8 / 10 – Destructoid
“Much like the comic strip I honestly can’t describe why this game is so fun. Gabe and I played it for hours last weekend and had a great time. It’s got some puzzle elements that you can choose to engage with if you want to but you can also just dig. It’s a very relaxing game and you can lose a couple hours to it easy without even noticing.”
– Tycho, Penny Arcade
Visit SuperMotherload.com for more information.
Media and Accolades
- Winner, 2013 PlayStation Blog Editors' Choice Awards, "Best Digital Release" (Super Motherload)
- Finalist, 2012 Digital Alberta Awards "Best in Gaming" (Super Motherload)
- Honorable Mention, 2013 GDC Play, "Best in Play" (Super Motherload)
- Nominee, 2011 Digi Awards "Best in Web-Based Gaming" (Stick RPG 2)
- Nominee, 2009 Elan Awards "Best Casual/Arcade Game" (Defend Your Castle, WiiWare)
- 2nd place, FuturePlay 2007 "Indie Games Competition" (Stick Arena)
- "Best Action Game 2005", Miniclip Online Game Awards (Motherload)